Platform Lead, Impact & Population Health, Singapore Translational Cancer Consortium;
Head & Senior Consultant, Division of Colorectal Surgery, Department of Surgery, National University Hospital;
Senior Consultant, Division of Surgical Oncology, National University Cancer Institute, Singapore;
Associate Professor, Department of Surgery, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore
As both surgeon and health services researcher, Ker Kan’s primary research interests span the entire spectrum of the colorectal cancer journey – from screening and prevention, to diagnosis and treatment, and the experiences of specific subpopulations such as those with stoma or metastatic disease. His ongoing projects involve a broad range of key topics. These include understanding barriers and facilitators to colorectal screening, longitudinal quality-of-life of patients and spouses as they experience the treatment process. Apart from colorectal cancer, Ker Kan’s interests also extend to the use of telemedicine and other new models of care in health promotion and health services delivery.
- Pang NQ, Lau J, Fong SY, Wong CY,Tan KK. Telemedicine Acceptance Among Older Adult Patients With Cancer: Scoping Review. Journal of Medical Internet Research. 2022 Mar 29;24(3):e28724.
- Khoo AM, Lau J, Loh XS, Ng CW, Griva K,Tan KK. Understanding the psychosocial impact of colorectal cancer on young‐onset patients: A scoping review. Cancer Medicine. 2022 Apr 1.
- Burkill S, Tan CS, Lau J, Koh GC,Tan KK. Colorectal cancer incidence in a multi-ethnic population: Age-period-cohort analysis of trends in Singapore. Cancer Epidemiology. 2021 Dec 1;75.
- Lim TZ, Lau J, Wong GJ, Tan LY, Chang YJ, Natarajan K, Yi H, Wong ML,Tan KK. Factors predicting improved compliance towards colonoscopy in individuals with positive faecal immunochemical test (FIT). Cancer Medicine. 2021 Nov;10(21):7735-46.
- Lim TZ, Lau J, Wong GJ,Tan KK. Colorectal cancer in patients with single versus double positive faecal immunochemical test results: A retrospective cohort study from a public tertiary hospital. PLOS ONE. 2021 Jun 4;16(6):e0250460.
- Lau J, Khoo AM, Ho AH,Tan KK. Psychological resilience among palliative patients with advanced cancer: A systematic review of definitions and associated factors. Psycho‐ 2021 Jul;30(7):1029-40.
- Lau J, Tan DH, Wong GJ, Lew YJ, Chua YX, Low LL, Koh GC, Kwek TS, Toh SA,Tan KK. The impact of COVID-19 on private and public primary care physicians: A cross-sectional study. Journal of Infection and Public Health. 2021 Mar 1;14(3):285-9.
- Lau J, Lim TZ, Wong GJ,Tan KK. The health belief model and colorectal cancer screening in theKey initiatives are as follows:al cancer screening for their siblings: a study on siblings’ perspectives. Psycho‐ 2020 Dec;29(12):2028-32.
- Tan KK, Moran BJ, Solomon MJ. Avoiding collateral mortality in a pandemic—time to change our mindset in surgical oncology. Nature Reviews Clinical Oncology. 2020 Jul;17(7):383-5.